So, I know, I’ve been pretty terrible these past couple of weeks. My sincere apologies. With work, my daughter and the prospects of beginning a doctoral program, I’ve had a lot on my plate. Luckily, the beer community is awesome and things are getting out there.
Here are some things that are coming up in the beer community here in Winnipeg. If you have any events or releases you’d like included, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- While many may not be aware, we have a burgeoning hop grower community here in Manitoba. Give the growth in this industry, there are forming the
Manitoba Hop Growers Association (MBHGA). This is exciting news as it means we will have more access, hopefully, to locally grown hop varietals. Great for home brewers and breweries alike.
- Barn Hammer continues to brew really interesting test batches of beer. They’ve partnered with Matt Gibbs to brew an ancient Egyptian beer that is made mostly of fermented sour dough bread. Apparently it’s quite good. You can read all about it and the process (If you haven’t already) here.
- Torque has released their latest Russian Imperial Stout in 500ml wax sealed bottles. It is called “Fake News” and if you had a chance to try “Collusion” at the tap room, it’s the same stuff. I’ve got a bottle to try this weekend so I’ll do a write-up about it soon.
- Nonsuch has bottled their Belgian Strong Ale and it is now available at the Quality Inn Craft Beer Store. This is another high ABV Belgian style beer and it sounds like it’s worth checking out. I know I’ll be grabbing a bottle or two.
- Oxus has reported that they’ve sent beer to the MLCC and it is currently in their warehouse. The first two beers from Oxus are Juice of the Oats Oatmeal Stout and Transoxania India Pale Ale in 650 ml bottles. A third beer, Canadian Dream Blonde Ale will be coming out soon as well. I know I’m looking forward to trying these and hope you are too.
- On March 8th a group of awesome and enterprising brewers got together to brew. The occasion was International Women’s Collaborative Brew Day. This group of brewers crafted a Witch Hunt lemon rooibos tea saison. I sadly did not have a chance to sit down with them before the brew, but I did get a chance last year. This awesome group of brewers are talented and passionate and I can’t wait to give this beer a try. The beer will be available around the city in April, so watch for it.
- Kilter Brewing has been teasing us on twitter. They’ve received a brewing equipment and are setting stuff up. I’m excited to get down and check out the space and report back when I can. In the mean-time, follow them on twitter.
I am sure I am missing some awesome news in the beer community. If you’ve got something you’d like include, send me a mail – email@example.com