I totally brewed that Barleywine. It’s done fermenting and is looking pretty good. I’ve not managed to get my hands on any Brett, but hopefully I will soon. I want to get this stuff inoculated so it has time to mature. But, you’re here to hear about what’s going on in the beer community, so let us get to it.
Here are some things that are coming up in the beer community here in Winnipeg. If you have any events or releases you’d like included, contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Barn Hammer has also released a full-batch of their Strawbarian Milkshake IPA. I am super excited and can’t wait to get my hands on some today. It was released yesterday and you can either grab a pint in the taproom or take a bottle home with you.
- Stone Angel continues to do some really fun stuff with their “60 Glasses” series. I suggest you follow them on twitter to be kept in the loop to what is coming up. They’ve also recently released a Radler called Onkel Georg. So get down there and try it out.
- Half Pints seasonal Pothole Porter is out now. This beautifully delicious Baltic Porter is the perfect beer for Pothole season. It’s available all over town as well as at the brewery. As well, in super exciting news, they’ve got on their “upcoming beers” list Holy Trinity. This is a pack of three Belgian style beers and I’m psyched.
- This one comes with a picture. Little Brown Jug has brewed a 4000L batch of a Belgian IPA that will be available as of today. You can for sure get it at the brewery itself, but also at Charleswood Beer Market, Quality Inn, Econolodge and the Tux Beer Market. I had a sample and really enjoyed it. I think you will too. At least you oughta give it a try.
- Fort Garry Brewing has released a Smoked Malt Barley Wine that is available at liquor marts now. This is an interesting release from this brewery and I do plan to check it out.
- Oxus Brewing Company has released beer! This is an amazing thing. Oxus has been working so hard to get the brewery open. It’s a one-man-show for the most part and I’m really impressed with what he has been able to accomplish. The first two beers from Oxus are Juice of the Oats Oatmeal Stout and Transoxania India Pale Ale in 650 ml bottles. You can get them at Liquormarts and Beer Vendors around town (Quality Inn, Charleswood Beer Market and others). A third beer, Canadian Dream Blonde Ale is on at various beer vendors around town. I’ve had the IPA and I thought it was quite well done.
- Trans Canada is announced the first of its four core beers. The event was quite fun and the beer is a solid Amber Ale called Lamp Lighter.
- Torque Brewing continues to have fun stuff on at their taproom. They’ve got some new stuff coming out in the near future. For their full release calendar, remember to check this post here. Next up appears to be a Dopplebock, that sounds good.
- Kilter Brewing officially has a location. They will be brewing out of 80 Sherbrook Street in the Wolsley neighborhood. This is really exciting and one step closer to us getting to have some of their beer. They’ve received a brewing equipment and are setting stuff up. I’m excited to get down and check out the space and report back when I can. In the mean-time, follow them on twitter.
- Joel Carleton of Bee’s Knees is partnering with Winnipeg Tasting Tours for a Beer and Chocolate tasting. It sounds delicious, so if you like those things and are curious about them being paired together, consider checking it out.
- If you don’t have plans for this weekend, you should check out the Brandon Beer Festival. It’ll have a bunch of local breweries as well as others from outside of the province. It’s been growing as the years go on and it’s a fun event. Check out details here.
- While many may not be aware, we have a burgeoning hop grower community here in Manitoba. Give the growth in this industry, there are forming the Manitoba Hop Growers Association (MBHGA). This is exciting news as it means we will have more access, hopefully, to locally grown hop varietals. Great for home brewers and breweries alike.
I’m STILL planning to get down to visit Kilter and do a follow-up to my initial post on them. I also finally got a chance to do my write-up on Torque’s Fake News. Please, get out and try the beers I’ve listed here, and then some. Support your favorite local breweries and definitely give them a try if you haven’t.
I am sure I am missing some awesome news in the beer community. If you’ve got something you’d like include, send me a mail – email@example.com
One thought on “Friday Beer News – April 6th”
Great coverage as always, great work. Thanks again for the continued plugs.
I liked the Oxus stout. I haven’t tried other products yet. The price is insane too, they’re really cheap big bottles IMO
i gotta get down and try that new IPA from my boy bernie at LBJ